Week 8: The Ghost of my Grandmother

*I'm not sure how it happened, but I missed a week - sorry.

Prompt
You are dealing with a bout of insomnia that started two days after the loss of you grandmother. Suddenly, you see a ghost who claims to be her spirit. Her spirit orders you to take care of something she wasn't able to do before she passed. If you do so, she'll leave you alone. If you don't, she'll haunt you forever. Write this scene.

My Creativity
Day twelve and still not a single night of unbroken sleep. I've tried it all: counting, warm milk, steady breathing, and so much more. Nothing has worked. I am now laying in bed staring at the ceiling, wishing that slumber would find me. I know I am beyond exhaustion. I even think that I see my grandmother's ghost. I mean come on, a ghost. really? It has always fascinated me the kinds of tricks that the mind if capable of playing.

"I may be a ghost, but I am no figment of your imagination," the ghost whispers.

Great, now my dead grandmother is talking to me.

"Fine, whatever you say Gran." I might as well see where this goes. It is better than doing nothing at all.

The ghost comes closer and sits and the foot of my bed. I sit up and stretch. At least tonight I won't be bored.

"It is very important that you listen to me," says my gran with a hint of force in her tone.

I've got nothing to loose. Why not? "And what is it that you need to say?"

"You must finish what I started before it is too late."

Now I know I've lost my mind. This scene is straight out of some movie. "Which is what?"

"You must stop you cousin from marrying."

I couldn't help but chuckle, "Sure, no problem."

"This is serious," she pauses and looks at me sternly. "The wedding can't happen."

"At least tell me why?"

"Once you have completed the task, I shall leave you to rest." Of course, silly me. She must have been the one keeping me awake all these nights. I mean, please.

"Listen. This is very real. If you want sleep, you must do as I've asked; otherwise I will continue to haunt you."

"Tell me why," I say with some conviction. "How am I supposed to end the wedding?"

"A hard truth," she pauses. "A secret you must keep. Find another way."

Was my gran this annoying while she was alive? Do all ghosts speak in riddles? If I wasn't able to pinch myself I'd think this to be a dream. "Sure, no problem. Break up the wedding with a truth and a secret that I can't not share."

She looks at me, "I am sorry to ask this, but I knew you would see me. You are my last hope. They can not wed because they are brother and sister."

I jump out of bed in shock. Before I can ask anymore questions, she is gone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 22 (week 20 on list) Playing with Fire

Week 21 ( Week 19 on sheet) A Cold Where You....Instead of Sneeze

Week 20 (week 18 on sheet) - You See a Face Through Your Dark Window